Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Update Galaxy SL (i9003) to Gingerbread 2.3.4

I followed the procedure from here. Out of all the guides out there, which are most confusing this is the best one I have ever come across. He is clear and straight forward of what you have to do, and small guide, not to get confused with lengthy ones.

I am copy pasting it here for your reference, may be for my reference later, as I am not interested with all of it.







Note: XXKPH can only be flashed with help from it's supporting predecessor XXKPE, So make sure you have XXKPE downloaded. User flashing version varies with this, but this is my successful 100% assured boot.
  1. Firstly, Download the link from spacebar's XXKPH Feedback thread.
  2. Run Odin3 v1.83
  3. Set your phone to download mode : Press Volume down + OK first, then hold Power button.
  4. Connect your phone, you should see Odin shows your phone is Added with COM number.
  5. Click PIT button and select this file: latona_20110114.pit
  6. You should see Re-Partition, Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
  7. Click PDA button and select this file: CODE_I9003XXKPE_CL409735_REV08_user_low_ship.tar
  8. Click PHONE button and select this file: MODEM_I9003XXKPE_REV_00_CL1041909.tar
  9. Click BOOTLOADER button and select this file: APBOOT_I9003XXKPE_CL409735_REV08_user_low_ship.tar
  10. Click CSC button and select this file: GT-I9003-CSC-MULTI-OXAKPE.tar
  11. Click Start button to flash these files to phone.
  12. Do not touch anything till you see PASS on the program window.
  13. Turn off the phone and set it back into download mode once you get an initial first boot to homescreen. Do not set up anything, Just power off and set to download mode. 
    Note: You only need to flash once to XXKPE before proceeding to XXKPH
  14. In Odin, press Reset button. Re-partition should be unchecked automatically.
  15. Select file I9003XXKPH_I9003XXKPH_I9003SERKPH_HOME.tar as PDA
  16. Click on Start to flash XXKPH PDA to phone
  17. Once you have flashed, after the phone started up, press *#1234# and check your PDA,Phone and CSC, everything should ended with KPH
  18. Factory reset and enjoy
Feedback: These is my experience and it may differ.

I had updated for KB2 Indian version. I flashed first XXKPE as suggested by the guide, and then XXKPH. 
  1. Now the battery life seem to have increased, I am not very sure about it, but feels like, my phone use to always crib low battery, and not it does not happen. I hardly put on charging these days :)
  2. No overheating etc, as some might have wrongly mentioned, but as far as I know this is official release for Russia so such issues can't be there
  3. All peripherals and system functions such as wifi, camera everything works fine.
  4. The GPS works like charm, and it has been fixed, it locks within 5 seconds and you are connected. 
  5. There are three new apps
    • Samsung Navigation Route 66 - which seems promising, it has information about the city, so easy to search and navigate.
    • Publication Reader - You can put your paper/magazine subscriptions and can be read offline.
    • There is a short cut to downloads which was much needed and was missing in previous version
  6. Not many cosmetic changes compared to 2.2 Froyo, it's all the same look and feel. The boot animation music has changed, I felt previous one was better.
  7. Performance has not changed much, it's almost same, may be little better I could say. 
  8. Last, but not the least Gmail video chat is something which is expected in 2.3.4 and it does not present in this, and for this you need to root and install the apk from outside, but as of now no good rooting available for 2.3.4, and whatever present seem to be not working.
  9. So if you have problem with battery life, then only update, else no need, and don't wait for gmail video chat support to come, I don't think it would ever come on SL
Note: All the binaries needed can be downloaded from here

No comments:

Post a Comment